THE MIND PROBE

It's a Doctor Who blog.

Wednesday 7 April 2021

Ranking Every Dalek Story

This article was written for Den of Geek.


I think it's clickbait, personally, and I'm fine with that. Ranking articles or lists put off a fair few readers, and I know that I'm making valid points about each story. I'm aware that these points are potentially controversial (not liking the 'Have I the right?' scene puts me firmly in the minority), but I agree with these tweets that for a variety of reasons it's harder to be controversial within Fandom.

Firstly it's that myriad opinions exist within fandom now, so the potential for controversy is lessened by the lack of a prevailing wisdom. Wisdoms prevail in all directions, some of it even wise. There's so much writing about Doctor Who around now that even The King's Demons defenders have logged on. And maybe more people are actually getting slightly more savvy about not reading stuff they know they'll dislike, or have mastered the whole 'subjective/objective' thing. Or possibly the hellish descent into fascism has put disagreeing with someone about Pertwee Dalek stories into perspective.

The only way to be controversial now is if you say a story is racist, in which case you receive the standard 'How dare you say I'm racist' comments from people who like those stories and have a surplus of red flags.

Anyway, please read my article ranking Dalek stories. I already disagree with my own ranking.

If I wrote it now, I'd change 'Dalek/Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways' to 'Series 1'.

No comments:

Post a Comment