THE MIND PROBE

It's a Doctor Who blog.

Saturday 22 December 2018

Fan Service

I wrote another batch of Fanwank/Fan Service Hotline articles for Series 11. My approach was to never be totally critical, and to always include some positives in the options.

On occasion I struggled to do this. It may come through, and if so there may be a pattern to these occasions.


  1. The Woman Who Fell To Earth
  2. The Ghost Monument
  3. Rosa
  4. Arachnids in the UK
  5. The Tsuranga Conundrum
  6. Demons of the Punjab
  7. Kerblam!
  8. The Witchfinders
  9. It Takes You Away
  10. The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos

An important thing to remember is that Doctor Who is not always made for you. There is a Reality Bomb podcast which asks fans for their opinions on Series 11, and it becomes clear that a lot of the problems I have with it are positives for other people. I also disagree with a lot of the reasons people dislike it, just to keep things simple. For example, a negative comparison to The Sarah Jane Adventures which I think is incredibly unfair to The Sarah Jane Adventures

Ultimately it doesn't matter to anyone apart from me if I'm not enjoying Doctor Who as much as long as enough people are enjoying it. My worry is that, having made the show something that children can enjoy more, the gap between series means that the momentum will be lost and that this momentum was slowing down anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment