THE MIND PROBE

It's a Doctor Who blog.

Wednesday 29 August 2018

Yes, This Again

I wrote an article for Cultbox about the reaction to The Talons of Weng-Chiang during Doctor Who on Twitch and the Doctor Who Magazine Time Team article.


Now, to my mind this is a pretty mild article (it was written before someone said 'I won't read the magazine if the editor is kept on', which apparently is all it takes to send DWM journalists feral) written by a middle aged, middle class white guy, who isn't very well known in fandom. This means that no one is likely to track me down to insult or abuse me, but it does still provoke ire in fans who resent being told their favourite thing is racist.

Guys, your favourite thing is racist from time to time. Deal with it.

At no point, though, do I say that this makes fans of it racist (although other things do - possibly referencing Why I Am No Longer Talking to White People About Race instead of Avenue Q was a mistake). Instead I'm suggesting that being aware of the racism in Doctor Who is necessary but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy the rest of it.

I've yet to see any of us PC killjoys saying you can't watch and enjoy Doctor Who, even Talons of Weng-Chiang (which, let us not forget, screwed over Graeme Williams by costing so much, is two episodes too long because someone forgets a bag, and ends with our quick-witted hero the Doctor aggressively throwing the villain into a cabinet, killing him - but does have high production values and some incredibly good dialogue).

No comments:

Post a Comment